We are required to provide you with details of this Policy to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which applies across the European Union. It is designed to harmonise privacy laws across Europe. GDPR refines the transparency rules for how companies describe their data processing.
Bio-Gard is committed to safeguarding the privacy of our customers and users, while providing the highest possible quality of service.
Who We Are
We are Bio-Gard Limited, registered in England – company number 086262158. We are also known as the data controller. We sell a range of environment friendly waste-water and home care products through mailings, advertisements, inserts and on the internet.
When you place online orders or access your account information we use a secure server. The secure server software (SSL) encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us. Furthermore, as required by the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) and the UK Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (Data Protection Legislation), we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access. Under the terms of data protection legislation, we are required to explain to you how we will treat any personal data which we collect from you.
Credit Card Security
We take security of each customer’s data very seriously and this includes credit card information.
Website Orders – On our website at checkout you are taken to a secure page and should always see a closed padlock beside the url address or at the top/bottom of your browser window. We hold a SSL certificate and are regularly scanned to ensure PCI compliance by Security Metrics.
The payment page is hosted by Pay360, a leading payment processing provider. This means that we only ever see the last 4 digits of online credit card transactions.
Phone and Postal Orders – When you order by post or phone, at the point of processing your order your credit card details are encrypted at data entry and are not stored on our systems once used. Any credit card details provided on coupons or order forms are obliterated after order processing data entry and the documents subsequently shredded in a secure environment.
- You have the right to ask us what personal data we hold about you.
- You have the right to ask us to update or amend any out of date or incorrect data.
- You have the right to ask us to delete the data we hold about you.
If at any time you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us. For the purposes of disclosure and deletion you must contact us from an email address you have registered with us or in writing. Simple amendments, such as incorrect contact details, may be amended by phone. To protect your privacy and security we may need to verify your identity before disclosing, amending or deleting your data.
Disclosures – We will seek to act in the best interest of our customers and will not abuse our position of data controller. We wish to be as clear and transparent as possible and action requests for data disclosure or amendment as soon as possible.
How to Contact Us
Anytime you wish to contact us, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us daytime on 01626 880 912 or write to us at Bio-Gard Limited, Woodview Road, Paignton, Devon TQ4 7SR.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
In order to fulfil your order, we need to collect personal information when order, consisting of Title; Name; Address; Mailing Preference flags such as Do not mail, or Do not email; Products purchased from us including their cost; Telephone number and email address if offered to us (only used relating to your order). We do not collect or store any sensitive data such as race, religion or biometrics.
It is our policy that your information is private and confidential. All personal information you provide to us is stored in a secure location and is accessible only by designated staff.
We also collect data because it is
necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests
are set out below –
– Direct Marketing
– Understanding customers’ wishes and shopping preferences and improving our services and products
– Selling and supplying goods and services to our customers
– Protecting customers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare
– Promoting, marketing and advertising our products and services
– Sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to individual customers.
– Understanding our customers’ behaviour, activities, preferences, and needs
– Improving existing products and services and developing new products and services
– Complying with our legal and regulatory obligations
– Preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies
– Handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes.
How We Use Personal Information for Marketing & How We Manage Your Market Preferences
1. Marketing by Us – We would like to contact you by post and/or email to let you know of our products, services and any offers. If at any time you wish no longer to receive our mailings and/or emails please contact us.
2. Marketing by other Companies – We may share your details with other carefully selected retail companies and charities who we feel may be of interest to you. We also work with Experian and Epsilon Abacus. Experian operates the Club Canvasse Data Pool and Epsilon Abacus operates the Abacus Alliance, which are organisations that manage data on behalf of respected retailers. Most participating retailers are active in the following product categories: clothing, collectables, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods and home interiors. They share information on what their customers buy and analyse this pooled information to help retailers understand consumers’ wider buying patterns. From this information, retailers can tailor their communications, sending prospective buyers suitable offers that should be of interest, while helping to ensure consumers do not receive unwanted mail.
We do not provide your telephone number(s) or email address(s) for use by these companies.
Please note that Epsilon Abacus and Experian may transfer data outside the EEA. The transfer will take place in the presence of appropriate safeguards, including standard data protection clauses adopted by the EU Commission.
3. We may occasionally also share data (Name & Address only) directly with other trusted retailers in the clothing, collectables, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, home interiors sectors and UK charities. If data is shared it is done so on a one-time only basis and the company or organisation are not entitled to store your data for further use unless you engage with them.
We do not provide your telephone number(s) or email address(s) for use by these other companies.
4. If you do not wish us to share this information, to receive postal mailings from other companies, please tick the appropriate box when ordering or to update this preference please contact us.
5. Every email newsletter we send contains an unsubscribe link. Please note that it may take a few days for you to stop receiving emails, two weeks to stop receiving postal mail and up to two months to stop receiving third party mailings from the date you opt out, as some mailings are scheduled months in advance. We will do everything possible to ensure this time delay is kept to a minimum.
6. If you would like to stop unsolicited postal communications, we recommend that you register with the Mailing Preference Service (MPS). MPS is a free service funded by the direct mail industry to enable consumers to have their names and home addresses in the UK removed from lists used by the industry. It is actively supported by the Royal Mail and all directly involved trade associations and fully supported by The Information Commissioners Office (ICO). For more information or if you wish to register with the MPS please visit their website www.mpsonline.org.uk
How We Use Your Information to Understand Shopping Preferences
Our communications are designed to let you benefit from our best deals. We use the information we have about you to tailor the content and try to ensure that offers are relevant to you. Under Data Protection Legislation, this may qualify as profiling. If you do not wish us to use your data for this purpose, please contact us.
We work with the following data processors in order to carry out our direct marketing activities.
Royal Mail, Whistl, Citpost, DPD, The Mailshop – They process name, address and mailing preference details only to enable them to plan and mail out our postal communications and delivery parcels on our behalf through Royal Mail and other recognised carriers.
Clientbase Fulfilment – They provide services to process and despatch your orders on our behalf.
Affinity New Media – They act as a data processor to process online orders and to maximise web site user engagement providing secure hosted website services from Amazon Web Services. We share with Affinity information as to how you use our web site, including any product information that you provide us with. This information is then used for the purpose of improving our website and providing you with marketing which is more relevant to you and your interests.
Epsilon Abacus and Experian – Data co-operatives work by members sharing information on what their customers buy. The co-operatives analyse this pooled information to understand consumer’s wider buying patterns. From this information, members can tailor their communications and send consumers suitable offers that should be of interest to them, based on what they like to buy.
Pay360, Barclaycard, Barclays Bank and Co-operative Bank – These financial services companies process payments made by you and receive personal details required for that purpose.
MailChimp – They store your name and email address details in order to manage the distribution of emails that we may send you from time to time.
How Long We Keep Your Data
We are fortunate to have many loyal customers, who purchase our products over many years. To serve our customers in the best possible manner and to continue to inform them about new products and services we may retain data for up to 10 years after the last purchase date.